Where can I find the ABN application form?
One of the benefits of the modern internet world is the streamlining of government forms including the abn application form. So, if you searching for ABN form, there is now a choice between paper form and the online form.
Prudent things to do before filling the form
Before spending time to fill out a form, its prudent to spend time collecting all the necessary information. Not doing thing might make your application process even longer. The information that you will need depends on the circumstances of your business but it will include:
- Your personal details including name, address and DOB. Just make sure your personal details matches the data on the ATO’s system. If when lodging the form, the ATO encounters a mismatch, your application will most likely be delayed. If you are not a soletraer (individual), you will also need to have all of your business associates personal details (other investors, partners and directors)
- Your business contacts including your postal and business address, email and mobile number
- A full understanding of your business’ activities and industry
- Your Tax File Number (TFN) as well as your business associates. If you can’t find it, search for an Tax Office issued document or call them on 132 861.
- Your estimated annual income from the business for GST purposes
- Your estimate of how many people you will employ for PAYG purposes
- If you are a individual contractor, you will need the details of your contract.
Now that you’ve got all the information, you can choose the method of applying
Options in lodging an ABN application form
- Paper Form – Eventhough its nearly unheard of, you can still lodge an ABN application form by post by filling out a paper form. We dont recommend this but if you wish you can order a paper copy from the ATO by calling 132 861 as there are no PDF version on the internet. If you are individual, the name of the application is “ABN Registration for Individuals” and the code of the form is NAT 2938. If you choose this option, it will take about 10 days for you to get the form, another 3-5 days to lodge the form and potentially another 28 days before you receive your ABN. If you incorrectly filled out the form, it will take longer. It is a free option. This choice is best for those who prefer traditional way of doing things.
- The Tax Office’s online form – The online counterpart is similar to the paper form and and be accessed through the Tax Office’s website. It is better in that depending on your answer to questions, you will not be required to read certain questions..thus making it easier for you. Although it is free and simpler than the paper form, it is still cumbersome with 8 pages of fields to fill out. Furthermore, you might need to answer some tricky questions. You will also need to ensure that information you provide is consistent with the information held by the Tax Office. If you can do that, the tax office’s website is a good option
- Third party registration online form – There is a third option to fill and lodge an application form and that is by using a third party ABN registration online form. These forms are provided by tax agents that make the application process simpler and sometimes faster. Similar to a tax agent filling out your tax return for a small fee, these commercial registration website such as ours can help you lodge an ABN application for you. Some of them including us conduct a review of your details to ensure your details match with the Tax Office’s data. We also have expert knowledge to answer the tricky questions and best of all, you only need to fill a 1 page form. Most of these websites with the exception of a few charge under $50. People who use these websites likes the simplified and quick process in getting the ABN. Furthermore, these services might be able to register you for a business name, gst and payg all in 1 go!
What happens next?
Once you or a third party lodges your online application form, there are three possible outcomes
- Getting an ABN – If you were lucky to fill out the online form correctly with the correct information, you should receive an ABN straight away. If so..all the best for starting your business venture.
- Getting a reference number –If you previously had a canceled ABN, or incorrectly filled out the online form or your identity cannot be verified, you will receive a reference number. Dont panic, the Tax Office just wants to review your application within 20 business day. Only ineligible applications will be rejected.
- Getting a refusal number – if you received a refusal number, its not a good outcome. Its best you call the Tax Office and if they still wont register you, you can lodge and objection to their decision.