One of the benefits of the modern internet world is the streamlining of government forms including the abn application form. So, if you searching for ABN form, there is now a choice between paper form and the online form.
Before spending time to fill out a form, its prudent to spend time collecting all the necessary information. Not doing thing might make your application process even longer. The information that you will need depends on the circumstances of your business but it will include:
- Your personal details including name, address and DOB. Just make sure your personal details matches the data on the ATO’s system. If when lodging the form, the ATO encounters a mismatch, your application will most likely be delayed. If you are not a soletraer (individual), you will also need to have all of your business associates personal details (other investors, partners and directors)
- Your business contacts including your postal and business address, email and mobile number
- A full understanding of your business’ activities and industry
- Your Tax File Number (TFN) as well as your business associates. If you can’t find it, search for an Tax Office issued document or call them on 132 861.
- Your estimated annual income from the business for GST purposes
- Your estimate of how many people you will employ for PAYG purposes
- If you are a individual contractor, you will need the details of your contract.
Now that you’ve got all the information, you can choose the method of applying
– Eventhough its nearly unheard of, you can still lodge an ABN application form by post by filling out a paper form. We dont recommend this but if you wish you can order a paper copy from the ATO
by calling 132 861 as there are no PDF version on the internet. If you are individual, the name of the application is “ABN Registration for Individuals” and the code of the form is NAT 2938. If you choose this option, it will take about 10 days for you to get the form, another 3-5 days to lodge the form and potentially another 28 days before you receive your ABN. If you incorrectly filled out the form, it will take longer. It is a free option. This choice is best for those who prefer traditional way of doing things.
The Tax Office’s online form
– The online counterpart is similar to the paper form and and be accessed through the