Most people say that mobile marketing is the future of marketing. Well, the truth is that mobile marketing is the present of marketing because many successful small businesses have already embraced it and are reaping a lot from it. If your small business has not embraced the many opportunities presented by mobile, then you can be sure that there is a lot your are missing.
Do away with clothes but not mobile
Long gone are the days when marketers used to focus on the next big advertising campaign and worrying about just a few channels to advertise their products. The technological revolution of the 21st century has opened a new world of opportunities in terms of advertising.
It goes without saying that smartphone and tablet usage is rising and will continue to do shake the way businesses operate. Thus, many consumers are turning to mobile devices to shop or find information; hence, it has become necessary to not only have a mobile friendly website, but also integrate mobile marketing in your marketing strategy. More and more people continue to go online, thanks to the rising use of mobile devices.
The simple reason why small businesses in Australia need to use mobile technology to reach their customers is so that they can reach more customers. Here are some interesting statistics about mobile usage.
- It is predicated by the Gartner that mobile devices will be in more use than the PCs in the coming years and that mobile ad spending will continue to grow. According to the eMarketer, the total global digital marketing spend will hit $252 billion by the year 2018 while the mobile ad spend will be $159 billion, representing about 63% of the total digital marketing budget.
- According to Gartner, All regions in the world will experience strong growth in mobile advertising, but North America will be the leading region because of the sheer scale of its advertising. Growth rates in the emerging economies like Brazil, Russia, Latin America, Middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe will experience faster growth rates than the worldwide average.
So if you haven’t considered mobile advertising, the following two reasons may help you to make a decision.
- Mobile makes it easier for you to get to the consumer, more than anything else does. There is no other device that is gaining popularity like the mobile phone and the best part of it is that it is personal since everyone has his or her own phone. As a marketer, you find that mobile phones have tremendous ability to leverage on their tastes and preferences. As a matter of fact, many people spend a lot of time socializing on their mobile phones. This makes it an extremely effective method of advertising because mobile will truly enable marketers to connect to each other at the right place, time and with the right individual. As such, mobile advertising encourages word of mouth advertising as well.
- Mobile advertising is more innovative and can easily take care of the unique needs of the consumer. In other words, you can analyze the reaction of the consumers and make the necessary adjustment as you go without spending a lot of money unlike traditional advertising methods such as billboards, television and print media, among others.
Therefore, right now, mobile advertising is the right deal for marketers. The costs of joining are low, making it the right marketing channel for small businesses. In others words, mobile marketing makes it possible for small businesses to go where the consumers are without big budgets.
Part of embracing mobile advertising is by creating mobile friendly sites by following the steps below:
- Your mobile site should be informative, engaging, and precise to the point. Include all the important information.
- Your mobile site should load quickly. If your visitor can’t get the information quickly, they will most likely migrate to your competitor. People are always making quick decisions.
- Make sure that you include all the basic information such as your phone numbers, physical address, email address and other contacts.
- Stay away from things such as unnecessary images and flash that could slow down your site.
- Include a call-to-action button on the site such as making an appointment.
Even Elmo has a mobile
Forms of mobile marketing
As we conclude, let us look at the various forms of mobile marketing available to small businesses. They include the following:
Text /SMS marketing: you could use short messages to advertising your small business/products. You can sign up for a short code, which are usually 4-6 digits to deliver your short messages to the audience.
- Mobile web: this is basically where you advertise your content online but target those who access the internet via their mobile devices.
- Multi-Media Messaging (MMS) service: MMS are messages that are delivered to the customer in the form of pictures, video and audio.
- Bluetooth proximity marketing: this is meant to work like a local TV advertisement so that content is automatically programmed to be delivered to the consumer’s mobile phone based on their location.
- Mobile applications: this form of mobile advertising involves having your content delivered via a mobile application design. Basically, the normal mobile application contains an ad in it.
- Pay Per Call (PPC) mobile marketing: although this form of advertising is not very common, it is used by some companies. In PPC, a customer is normally asked to perform a certain action like making a call to a certain number and they are billed. This normally suitable for things like online consultancy.
- Mobile Banner Ads: you may have seen some advertisement on the screen of a website in the form of a mobile phone. Marketers may use this form of advertising to target mobile phone users.
- Voice Marketing: you can pre-record a message which can then be broadcast to a number of people subscribed.
- Mobile games: mobile games can be used to entice the customer to respond to company’s advertisement of goods and services and products.
The importance of mobile marketing cannot be over emphasized enough since 90% of people read their text messages and 85% of them will tend to respond to those messages positively. That makes mobile marketing the new marketing gold mine. Many businesses have already started using mobile to market their businesses, and if you are not going to embrace mobile advertising, it means that you are going to lose a lot.